SRISTI invites you and your family to…
The 14th Traditional Food Festival
Sattvik – 2016
A cultural milieu to revive the forgotten tastes and hence the forgotten ties!
Date: 24th to 26th December, 2016, Saturday-Sunday-Monday
Place: AES Ground, Behind TV Tower, Bodakdev Rd, Sunrise Park,
Bodakdev, Ahmedabad, Gujarat- 380052
Time: 11.00 am to 10.00 pm
Taste, Ties, Types and Traditions
Sattvik – the festival to celebrate traditional food was started thirteen years ago to promote conservation of agro-biodiversity and creation of demand for nutritional crops, which are rarely or less cultivated now. The paradox of development is such that nutritious food is still consumed in the most under-developed areas and by poorer segments of society. This festival aspires to bring the lesser known but nutrient-rich food from these areas to the urban populace, helping them to adopt healthier food habits and lifestyle. The festival also hopes to encourage the farmers to grow such crops and augment their incomes. Thus, we seek your presence and participation in the event.
The following events will be part of the Sattvik:
- Farmers’ fair of organic and eco-friendly agro- products
- Competitions highlighting children’s creativity and biodiversity knowledge
- Exhibition of Grassroots Innovations
- Crafts, Pottery, Folk Dance and Songs
Objectives of the “Sattvik – Traditional Food Festival”
- To provide a platform for popularizing traditional culinary made using forgotten crop varieties like Kodra (Paspalumscrobiculatum), Bavta (Elusinecoracana), Nagli (Elusinecoracana), Samo (Echinocloacolonum), Jowar (Sorghum vulgare), Bajri (Pennisetumglaucum), ragi (millet) and maize (Zeamays) and to reconstitute the taste and nutritional value among the urban people with a vision to conserve and raise the demand of such lesser known varieties.
- To popularize the use of unknown/uncultivated plants and vegetables which are not being consumed by people due to ignorance about their nutritional value and to prepare varieties of delicious dishes from such unnoticed plants.
- To generate a renewed interest in conservation of indigenous, local and rare varieties of seeds by organizing exhibition of such seeds and sale of such seeds. Sattvik aims to provide a platform for conservation the biodiversity of local seeds.
- To organize an exhibition to help creative rural grassroots innovators and students.
- To popularize folk-lore, folk-songs, folk-tales, art and forgotten traditional musical instruments.
- To extend the support to organic farmers for increasing interactions among themselves and to help them in selling their organic products directly to the consumers (sale of items like minor millets, grains, pulses, spices, vegetables, cow ghee, sesame oil, different types of roots and chemical free jaggery etc.).
Join us to conserve the depleting agro-biodiversity!
For further information, please contact:
AES Boys Hostel Campus,
Near SBI Bank & University Library,
Ahmedabad – 380009
Ph. 079-27913293, 27912792
Email : email@example.com