31st Shodh Yatra Wardha, Maharashtra, 5th May to 12th May 2013
This shodh yatra has been completed.
the coming Shodhyatra will be organised in Wardha District, Maharashtra, from 5th to 12th May, 2013. Who would like to participate in the coming Shodhyatra, please be present on 4th May 2013 at Wardha, Maharashtra by evening. Departure is possible on 12th May 2013 10:00 am onwards. Nagpur will be nearest place for Departure instead of Wardha. You may arrange your return ticket from Nagpur.
The temperature during the yatra is expected to be 40-48 deg. max during day time and 3-5 degree lesser at night.
In order to reach the grassroots people and connect with them, a learning walk is organized by SRISTI(Society for Research and Initiatives for Sustainable Technologies and Institutions, a voluntary organisation located in Ahmedabad, India). Twice a year, Shodhyatra takes place in rural areas in different geographical locations of the country, with support from the Honey Bee Network. The aim of this yatra is to felicitate local grassroots innovators, traditional knowledge holders, students with innovative ideas and people with significant contribution to society in conserving bio‐diversity, etc. at their door steps, in front of their community so that inspiration may be drawn by others. The marching group of Shodhyatris consists of scientists, innovators, villagers, students and professors who travel about 150 km over a period of seven‐eight days, to convey the message of the network. Biodiversity and idea competitions are organised among children while recipe contests are organised among women in some of the villages (particularly with focus on such food recipes in which at least one less known or forgotten plant produce has been used).
Shodhyatra is a journey in search of knowledge, creativity and innovations at the grassroots. It is an attempt to reach out to the remotest part of the country with a firm belief that hardship and challenges of natural surroundings are the prime motivators of creativity and innovation. Shodhyatra aims at unearthing such traditional knowledge and grassroots innovations that have not only simplified the lives of men, women and farm labourers but have also significantly contributed towards the conservation of bio‐diversity. It is a journey of mutual exchange and sharing of knowledge.
The following activities are undertaken during the Shodhyatra:
- Felicitation of local innovators and traditional knowledge holders.
- Organising traditional recipe competitions, biodiversity competitions to promote local biodiversity conservation and generate awareness about the same.
- Knowing and understanding local issues and problems of villagers by conducting village meetings.
- Sharing open source information available with SRISTI which may be of use to the local people.
- Identification of centenarians, enterprising women and children, artisans, rural researchers and people contributing to the preservation of natural resources.
- Preparations of a data register of local knowledge and local plant diversities.
- Generating awareness about preservation of local spices and local biodiversity
- Promoting low cost, less expensive and organic farming technologies.
How To Reach
By Rail: Wardha
By Bus: Wardha
By Air: Nearest Airport-Nagpur, 70 km from Wardha
Instructions for Shodhyatris on how to prepare for the walk can be found atHere
AES Boy's Hostel Campus
Nr. Gujarat University Library and SBI Bank
Tel: 079-27912792, 27913293